03 April 2009

march 13

torture. beautiful, majestic, white fluffy torture.

i missed all but one day of last winter due to my two knee surgeries, and now i am missing this entire winter for the greater good of having a bun in the oven.

i get it, there will always be next winter (trust me, i am counting down the days), but for now just let me have my pity party.

i am in tahoe for a girls weekend away in a ski-in/out house. i can not ride. i can not sit in the lodge and drink the day away. i can not fully indulge in apre ski festivities. i can not sit in the hot tub and relax my muscles after spending all day on the mountain. i am basically useless up here.

after a few tears and a failed attempt to rent snow shoes, i decided that come hell or high water i was going to feel the snow under my feet. so there i went, on my own adventure... walking up the bunny hill past all the flailing beginners, past the chairlift drop-off and up the hill above it. i climbed and i climbed until i was out of breath, then i just sat...watching the people fly by me, and i smiled.

it wasn't my perfect day, but it did the trick. i just needed to feel that aliveness that only a day on the snow brings about.

No comments:

Post a Comment